I am definitely a fan of granola bars, but I always find store bought bars are way too sweet (plus there are far too many ingredients I can’t read on the label). These bars are a great replacement for pre-packaged ones. Unlike most homemade granola bars, they are nice and chewy. Plus I chose to swap out less healthy granola bar mix-ins for superfood options. To make these bars even more healthy, You could also leave out the rice krispies and add some more oats (but I like the light crunch the rice crispies add). Also, I should note that when I made these, I split the granola mixture into 2 and added dried goji berries to one half and cocoa nibs to the other. Both options were yummy but the goji berry bar was definitely the favourite at our house!
Superfood Granola Bars
Makes 12 bars
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup of rice krispies
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/4 cup unsweetened dried coconut
2 tbsp cocoa nibs or 1/4 cup goji berries
1. Mix oil, honey & sugar in a medium sized pot. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes… the oil may not fully stir into the sugar and that is OK!
2. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
3. Pour hot honey mixture over dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Press bars into a 9×9 pan covered with parchment paper.
5. Wait 1 hour for granola to set before cutting into bars.