Waking up late to enjoy a delicious Saturday morning brunch is one of the best parts of the weekend. But as much as I love brunch lets be honest… most brunch recipes are just a pile of carbs with liquid sugar poured over top (I’m looking at you pancakes & waffles!).
After ordering a delicious Mexican inspired dish at one of my favourite local brunch spots, I knew I couldn’t go back to frying up pancakes every weekend. I absolutely had to recreate their recipe at home and after a bit of testing to get the recipe just right, I’ve come up with the ultimate Mexican inspired brunch recipe.
Every girl needs a few solid brunch recipes in her repertoire and this one is a definite winner. It’s crunchy, creamy and spicy all at the same time and is filled with good for you fresh ingredients! You get plenty of protein from the pork, fibre from the whole wheat Old El Paso tortilla bowls and delicious healthy fats from the fresh avocado. A generous sprinkle of cilantro adds a bright pop of flavour.
These tortilla bowls are a perfect new Saturday brunch tradition. Served with a tall glass of freshly squeezed fruit juice, it’s a brunch recipe you and your girlfriends won’t have to feel guilty about! The recipe makes enough to serve a crowd of your best friends but it can easily be scaled back if you are cooking for just you and your beau… Of course you might not want to scale back the recipe since the leftovers are equally delicious. Once reheated, they make for a great breakfast when you are running out the door Monday morning. Just place the left-over breakfast bowls on a baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees to reheat and they taste *almost* as good as they do when they’re fresh.
Breakfast Tortilla Bowls with Avocado Crema
8 Old El Paso tortilla bowls
1/4 cup melted butter
1 lbs ground pork
2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
juice from 1 lime
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 can Old El Paso refried black beans
1/2 a red pepper diced
1 bunch cilantro
1. Brush tortilla bowls with melted butter. Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove tortilla bowls from oven and set aside.
2. Combine ground pork, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt in a pan. Fry over medium heat until pork is cooked through and is no longer pink.
3. Create your avocado crema by blending together avocados, lime juice, sour cream, salt and garlic powder until smooth.
4. Fry eggs 2-3 at a time over medium heat in a greased frying pan. Cook eggs without flipping until egg whites are completely cooked through.
5. To assemble your breakfast bowls, spoon refried beans into the bottom of each tortilla bowl. Top with a generous helping of the ground pork mixture then sprinkle with diced red peppers.
6. Spoon avocado crema over each tortilla bowl then top with a fried egg. Garnish with fresh cilantro.