Before I left for Thailand, I was in desperate need of some new shorts and with no stylish options available to purchase anywhere locally (January isn’t exactly shorts weather here in Winnipeg!) I decided to order this high-waisted olive pair online. A friend of mine mentioned that it was mighty brave to buy shorts online but these days I actually do almost all of my shopping online. Of course I’ve learned a few tricks to find pieces that will look just as good in person as they do online and I thought I would share them with you all today.
So here are 5 easy tips for buying clothes (that will actually fit you!) online:
1. Check the measurements. Every company has different standard sizing and comparing your measurements against the companies’ standard sizes is the best way to make sure you end up buying something that fits. Even if you are a size small in every single shirt you own, when shopping online you often are purchasing from global retailers where sizes are calculated differently.
2. When in doubt choose a size up. It’s nearly impossible to let out seams on fast fashion find, but oh so easy to have something hemmed or taken in at the waist. Try not to go crazy with sizing up, since multiple alterations can change the entire look of the garment but usually one size up is a safe bet when shopping online.
3. Take a good hard look at the product photo. If the product looks like it’s gaping, wrinkling or sitting funny on the model, time to move on. If that dress you are eying doesn’t look absolutely perfect on a size 2 heavily photoshopped model you can be sure it won’t look any better on you!
4. Double check that the item in the photograph is the item you will be receiving. There are a few online companies known for selling items that look nothing like the product shown in the photo but these online stores can usually be spotted a mile away. If the product photo is a paparazzi shot of a celebrity, their product photos all have different backdrops or the photos have another brand’s watermark across it, you are definitely looking at a cheap fake. Remember, if the prices look too good to be true… they probably are!
5. Last but not least, just in case you aren’t happy with your purchase after following my tips, make sure to choose online stores with a great return policy. While most store don’t offer free return shipping, many will allow you to return online purchases to local store locations, meaning if you change your mind you won’t have to worry about expensive shipping!